Pea, mint & toasted pine nut pate
This colourful pate tastes as fresh as it looks and kick starts this spring meal with an air of excitement.
- 1 small brown onion, diced small
- 150g fresh or frozen peas (thawed), reserve some for serving (optional)
- 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed (drained weight 230g)
- Large handful fresh spinach, washed
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 50g tahini paste
- Salt & pepper
- Large sprig of fresh mint leaves, washed – reserve some for serving
- 20g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Small handful dill and sesame seeds for serving
Place the diced onion with a dash of oil or water into a small frying pan with a lid and cook over a low heat until they become soft and translucent (5-10mins).
Remove the cooked onions from the heat and pour into a food processor. Add the peas, drained chickpeas, spinach, garlic, tahini, seasoning and mint leaves (reserve some for serving if desired). Pulse until smooth and creamy.
Transfer the mixture into a serving dish and top with the toasted pine nuts,
extra mint leaves, dill and sesame seeds.
Serve with breadsticks or raw,
Please note: pates are not recommended for pregnant women.